Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween, Day 9 and 10

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but we got back to the hotel and had to get ready for the Halloween Party at 4 Paws. Yesterday Ken and I practiced more obedience and Ken did two tracks with Chevy. He did well. The weather was miserable. Seriously, if you are coming to a tracking class you better be prepared for everything... We started out at 80 degrees and went to 30 degrees, windy, rainy, muddy... disgusting. Everyday, Chevy connects with all of us more and more. He is listening to Ken as much as me and even Nate at times. He loves his Kong squeaky ball and his Cuz too. Nate loves his dog and I really think that Chevy loves him too. The Halloween party was great. Many friends of 4 Paws from past classes and the foster college students came in addition to people in our class, volunteers, staff, etc. The food was great. Loved all the costumes. We set up all our treats in the back and stood by a crate as the kids came around. They had a blast. Tracking today didn't go textbook, but Chevy found Nate both times. Ken tracked the first time and by the time I got Chevy he was worn out. We had classroom lecture this afternoon and Chevy didn't come off his mat. He was exhausted. We practiced walking tight rows on an airplane and heeling, under, stairs. Everything went well. Tomorrow is our big day. We have our public access test. I know Chevy will do fine. His heeling needs a bit of polish, but he is still young and we are working on it. I will take him out for a long walk tomorrow in the morning to burn off some energy. Our test is at 11:30 and we do our paperwork at 1:00. Graduation starts at 2:30. I have a special place in my heart for each and every member of our class. People and dogs included. I have spent so much time with everyone that they feel like family at this point and that bond will always be there. I'm so glad we have FB as we leave over the next few days for our homes. On another note, the guy, named Mark, that Nate found in the middle of the night had the front desk leave Nate a special Halloween treat bag full of toys in our room. Nate was thrilled to open the gifts. Every time we go by room 315, Nate yells, "Hi Mark." The card tore at my heart strings... I have to share as it was so beautiful.. "To My New Buddy Nate! You will always be in my heart. I am thankful God guided you to me in his special way. May your life bring you all the wonderful things you deserve, Love Mark" He also wrote Ken and I a note, "To Mom and Dad, God only chooses those with the strength, caring and endless love that you both have to take care of his most precious children, Hope all is going well with the dog for Nate, Always, take care, Mark (from Maine)." This trip has been filled with joyous gifts. I won't tell you it's been a piece of cake, but the end of the road is well worth the work you put in. We have a beautiful, smart, talented, loving dog and have met many wonderful people that are in the same boat as we are. Even though Nate gave me the sickening scare of my life, we met a wonderful man named Mark who has made an imprint on our lives. Thanks to Karen Shirk who loved our kids enough to create 4 Paws. If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't be in Ohio right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment